Who We Are
LAACHA is a strategic alliance that brings together community leaders and organizations representing health care, older adults, persons with disabilities, academia, and public agencies to explore and identify opportunities to align, leverage resources, and expand the access, reach and impact of effective defined interventions, science-informed and evidence-based practices to address health equity, and advance population health. LAACHA is part of the Los Angeles Purposeful Aging (PALA), the world-wide initiative that seeks to make the LA region more age-friendly and that promotes healthy and active aging, as well as a good quality of life for diverse older adults.
What Do We Do
LAACHA create spaces for face-to-face conversations and gives members and community partners opportunity to network, gain new knowledge, explore and generate new ideas, develop solutions, and take action. LAACHA helps bridge the divides that exist among cross-sector organizations by sharing information, fostering collaboration and supporting shared goals.
• We recognize, value and celebrate the diversity among individuals and communities.
• We seek to increase the capacity of communities to support regional public health strategies/plans for reducing disparities in health and well-being across the municipalities and communities in the County.
• We involve impacted individuals and communities at all levels of practice (e.g., services design, development, dissemination, implementation, evaluation) with an effective, multi-sector approach.
• We promote the integration of care for chronic conditions with physical and behavioral health; and the utilization of effective community and evidence informed health promotion practices and programs.
• We believe in the need for ongoing and sustainable funding support.
A community where all residents are taking action to improve their health and well-being and can access effective community-based health programs.
Through collaborations with community organizations and health systems, our mission is to increase access, reach and impact of effective, culturally and linguistically-competent, community interventions, community- informed and evidence-based health promotion educational programs for older adult residents, and caregivers, particularly those at-risk or who are marginalized, in the Los Angeles Region.
Problem To Address
Due to social, cultural, economic and health inequities, current rates of chronic conditions among diverse older adults aged 60 and older are increasing. Therefore, expanding access to culturally and linguistically- competent community interventions, health promotion and chronic disease self-management programs is a critical issue.
How We Do It
LAACHA promotes and sponsor regional efforts to improve health quality outcomes for older adults, family caregivers and the communities where they live. In partnership with local, state and national experts, we provide:
Capacity Building - for organizations, leadership and community partners- LAACHA provides culturally competent, action oriented, and collaborative learning opportunities to build organizational competence and strengthen capacity to better impact practice and policy.
Innovation – LAACHA supports and sponsor pilot testing and dissemination of culturally competent evidence- based and community defined innovative ideas that could contribute to the delivery of better care, better health and help reduce health care costs.
Outcomes Measures – LAACHA supports the scaling – up and evaluation of culturally competent evidence- based health promotion and disease prevention programs for at-risk, marginalized, older adults, caregivers and their families in Los Angeles County.
Convener – as a convener, within the context of collaborative leadership, LAACHA brings together cross-sector partners to address complex issues such as:
- Chronic Disease Prevention & Self-management
- Social Isolation and Loneliness
- Geriatrics Workforce
- Measuring, Reporting and Reducing Health Disparities
- Falls Prevention